Today we are trying to make connections between themes in our books:
women's rights, culture and choices, romance and education, arranged marriage and financial independence and themes in current events.
The article titles are:
Olympians Torn on Protesting China's Policies
Students of Virginity
It's Not You, It's Your Books
Wed to Strangers, Vietnamese Wives Build Korean Lives
All of these articles are in Sunday's New York Times and can be found using the search tool in http://nytimes.com/
14 comments:
http://www.omnitv.ca/ontario/tv/signatureseries/episodes/gulag113/gulag113.jpg
i read the article about the veitiense women who where being paid off into marriage and how they were getting unhappy and starting to speak out for themselves, and leaving there husbands. i thing it wrong to put money on someones happiness or for the parents of a young girls to put there daugther on the market so that they can have money. you can only suspect a man to think he owns you once you start putting a price on things yes its sad but a deal is a deal , its like selling you soul to the devil no amount of money can buy u your life back. it should be banded. {faniesha hunter}
I read about the athletes possibly protesting the olympics that are being held in china this year. I believe that the athletes should protest this event because I would not want to compete in a country that is giving their money to another country that is going through genocide. Even my favorite basketball player Lebron James is against this so much beacuse of Nike, he refuses to wear a wristband.
B.Judge
i read the article about olympians to protest about Darfur. well i believe what Michael Phelps said (his mind was not on politics. “I’m looking forward to going over there and competing and representing my country the best way I can,” he said. “That’s what I’m focused on.”). Thats how all the athletes going to the olympics should be.
I know that people care about what't happening in darfur, but there is a time and place for everything, and now it is time to represent your home country in the olympics and not cause a big deal.People should respect their host.
jorge fortin
Comment about Wed To Strangers, Vietnamese Wives Build Korenan Lives.
I believe that this article is very eye opening. I never knew that there were tours that allow you find and buy a bride in less than five days. I believe that this is not a good idea because there are many risks that can result in doing this. Some of these risks include the wife using you to only get money, the husbands can use you as a sex slave or even beat you. You can catch many diseases because you dont know how many partners your new spouse may have had. Also you dont know the family and their beliefs and customs.
I believe that you should not buy your future spouse but instead marry them out of pure love. Money cannot buy happiness and it can surely not buy love.
I disagree with Faniesha! I think that the women should be able to leave their husbands if they are unhappy. A deal is not always a "deal".
Ms. Grady
George Clooney Campaigns in Egypt, China
I read an article about George Clooney going to Egypt to raise awareness about the genocide happening in Darfur. I thought it was great that George Clooney is helping and letting people know that this is happening and that changes have to be made. Clooney is trying to get them to have a larger peacekeeping force from the Khartoum government, in Egypt. It's also a good thing that George Clooney is active in this situation because he is famous has money he will be able donate and publicise what is going on.
Joshua O.
http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2006/12/12/george_clooney_campaigns_in_egypt_china/
I read the article about the vietnamese women who get married to strangers. I dont think its right to sell your life because your family is poor. life and happiness is much more valuable then money.It's a bad idea becuase you are marrying someone you don't know and they might treat you really bad and you can't do anything about it . I think that you need to know someone for a long time to marry them.
Anxhela Z
The article about vietnamese women being sold as wives to foriegners is not fair, becuase not all the husbands are good and can be abusive to their wives. The more sad thing is, all wives that are sold are usaully sold to settle money debt back home. If the girl could atleast maybe choose her guy, or not wanna go period then sure, why not, but these women are being sold without any knowledge of there man, or who they are and where they live. It is very very sad.T
~Yujin
The article in which I read it talked about the athletes that are participating in the Olympics and how they are confused about whether or not they should stand up for what they believe in or should they just side with the people that are paying them. This is hard for certain athletes especially ones that have endorsements with Nike because if you are against genocide in Darfur but have a contract with them that's basically like biting the hand that feeds you. The reason why it's like that is because Nike has a "Major Marketing Presence in China".
anonymous said...
from what i read about the article about korean men buying veitnamese women to marry is a bad idea.One fact is that it can be a risk to marry someone you do not know and have no information on and you dont know how the person acts and maybe doesnt have things in common with what you have.I also belive it wrong to buy a human being because in life everyone should be treated equally and have rights, and the wives could be treated as slaves, doing everything without there husbands help.
-dongjin vasquez
by KRISTIE SIMONO
Comment about Wed To Strangers, Vietnamese Wives Build Korenan Lives.
I believe that this article is very eye opening. I never knew that there were tours that allow you find and buy a bride in less than five days. I believe that this is not a good idea because there are many risks that can result in doing this. Some of these risks include the wife using you to only get money, the husbands can use you as a sex slave or even beat you. You can catch many diseases because you dont know how many partners your new spouse may have had. Also you dont know the family and their beliefs and customs.
I believe that you should not buy your future spouse but instead marry them out of pure love. Money cannot buy happiness and it can surely not buy love.
It's Not You, It's Your Books
This article was a bit confusing at the beginning. After rereading the first paragraph I learned that some people think that you can find a lot out by what kinds of books people read, if any.
Also, people told stories about when they broke up with someone, because that person didn't read. I guess it is your own personal opinion, but I am not sure I would break up with someone over that.
-Paige Savill
about the student of virginity she has a lot of will power to stand and live by what she believe.
Sincerly, Tevin Davis
Post a Comment